Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

Remembering 9/11
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Other Stuff -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daredevil Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote

I searched for this thread but I couldn't find it. So I figured I'd make it myself.
Early on the morning of September 11, 2001, 19 hijackers took control of four commercial airliners en route to San Francisco and Los Angeles after takeoff from Boston, Newark, and Washington, D.C. Planes with long flights were intentionally selected for hijacking because they would be heavily fueled. At 8:46 a.m., five hijackers crashed American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Center's North Tower (1 WTC) and at 9:03 a.m. another five hijackers crashed United Airlines Flight 175 into the South Tower (2 WTC).
Five hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon at 9: 37 a.m. A fourth flight, under the control of four hijackers, crashed United Airlines Flight 93 near Shanksville, Pennsylvania at 10:03 a.m. after the passengers fought the hijackers. Flight 93's ultimate target is believed to have been either the Capitol or the White House.[13] Flight 93's cockpit voice recorder revealed crew and passengers attempted to seize control of the plane from the hijackers after learning through phone calls that similarly hijacked planes had been crashed into buildings that morning. Once it became evident to the hijackers that the passengers might regain control of the plane, one hijacker ordered another to roll the plane and intentionally crash it. Soon afterward, Flight 93 crashed into a field near Shanksville. Two F-16's were scrambled with the intent to bring down Flight 93, however the F-16's carried no live ammunition. The intent was to ram Flight 93.
There were a total of 2,996 deaths, including the 19 hijackers and 2,977 victims. The victims included 246 on the four planes (from which there were no survivors), 2,606 in New York City in the towers and on the ground, and 125 at the Pentagon. All the deaths in the attacks were civilians, except for 55 military personnel killed at the Pentagon.
Over 90% of the workers and visitors who died in the towers had been at or above the points of impact. In the North Tower 1,355 people at or above the point of impact were trapped and died of smoke inhalation, fell or jumped from the tower to escape the smoke and flames, or were killed in the building's eventual collapse. A further 107 people below the point of impact did not survive. In the South Tower, one stairwell remained intact allowing 18 people to escape from above the point of impact. 630 people died in the South Tower which was fewer than half of the number killed in the North Tower. Casualties in the South Tower were significantly reduced by the decision of some occupants to start evacuating when the North Tower was struck.

Where were you on 9/11?

((Article from Wikipedia))
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brett Harlan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote

I was 3 years old but what a tragedy. I'm sorry for the people whose relatives died.
Tango Totoro
Quizaboom
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote

I remember being in school. I think they made us hold hands or something weird like that. I understood what occurred but the significance of it didn't truly dawn on me until a few years later.

Remember, the attack was tragic and many people lost their lives that day, but it could have been far worse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote

I made this thread while watching Dateline: NBC, which was covering it. Stories of it were every emotional and sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timotini Mazinga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote

I was about 3 or 4.

Whatsoever

Who's responsible for this is DEAD, and you know who I'm talking about.

Special thanks to Tango!
Lolbear Simpson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote

Honestly, I do feel sorry for all the lives lost, but reminding me of that event with a long and informative paragraph doesn't make me feel any better. We all know what happened on that day.
Sobchak Lebowski
Translators Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote

Remembering is coping!
Rojoco Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote

Like everybody here I would have been too young at the time it happened to really understand the scale of the event or even the concept of terrorism, but I do remember coming home from school and seeing it on the news.
Oh and Dare you might want to edit that accidental kawaii out of your initial post. lol
Timotini Mazinga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Rojoco Anderson wrote:
Like everybody here I would have been too young at the time it happened to really understand the scale of the event or even the concept of terrorism, but I do remember coming home from school and seeing it on the news.
Oh and Dare you might want to edit that accidental kawaii out of your initial post. lol

Yeah when I first took a look at it and saw that Kawaii I was like WTF.
Then I read and realized it wuz jueste une petite fail. Kawaii

Special thanks to Tango!
Nickyh Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote

The worst bit of this tragic event is that most of the casualties were civilians.

I, too, was too little to remember where I was when this happened, but I remember that at the time, the world was simply in chaos and panic.

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
Learn what?
Lolbear Simpson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Nickyh Smith wrote:
The worst bit of this tragic event is that most of the casualties were civilians.

I, too, was too little to remember where I was when this happened, but I remember that at the time, the world was simply in chaos and panic.

The whole world? Are you sure? I don't think so...
Globox Simpson

Location: The land of Köttbullar and Smörgåsbord, and epic guys with beards and hats

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Was 4 back then. Sad stuff, but mighty cool-looking.
Captin Simpson
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
Nickyh Smith wrote:

Perhaps you were not old enough but I sure as hell knew people were panicking. Once the news broke out, I knew people were terrified it might happen in their cities.
Roxie Bauer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
Nickyh Smith wrote:

I know it doesn't sound as big as it is. I never used to see it the way I was supposed to.

Just think. Planes are smashing into important places all over the USA. People are dying. It was compltetely unexpected. No where in the USA is safe. The USA is a powerful country. If USA couldn't stop it, who could?
Pancake Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
Nickyh Smith wrote:

You were what, two years old? Yes, the whole world. At first, people thought it may have been an accident. Once the second plane hit, people thought it was the beginning of a larger attack and possibly a war. You can see the global effect every single time you go to the airport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Other Stuff -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: