Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

Taking a Long Time to Save Images from Websites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lolbear Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I use Mac OS and use Google Chrome as my web browser. When I save images off websites, it takes a long time (25 seconds, about) for the image to be saved. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Google Chrome, because I tried it with Safari and it takes just as long. Another thing, I save the images on a NAS drive.
It works fine on Windows, but I switched to Mac OS because the computer would keep on crashing on Windows.

EDIT: One more thing, it seems to open 'Preview' when I save an image. But I don't know what I could do to stop it opening 'Preview.'
Rojoco Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Is this really a problem?
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
I use Mac OS and use Google Chrome as my web browser. When I save images off websites, it takes a long time (25 seconds, about) for the image to be saved. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Google Chrome, because I tried it with Safari and it takes just as long. Another thing, I save the images on a NAS drive.
It works fine on Windows, but I switched to Mac OS because the computer would keep on crashing on Windows.

EDIT: One more thing, it seems to open 'Preview' when I save an image. But I don't know what I could do to stop it opening 'Preview.'
Run a system repair on windows, with your original windows disk (I'm assuming you still have it). Just insert it (might need to change boot order in BIOS but that's easy enough to google) and do what it says to run the installer, when/if it detects windows it'll ask you if you want to reinstall or try a system repair(choose this). Should stop your crashes.

As for the long time I'm drawn to your NAS drive as a source, no internal HDD?

And by saving do you mean rigth-click + save as (or whatever the Mac equivalent is), or just copying it?

Not sure what you mean by 'preview' either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Knyh Risotto wrote:
Lolbear Simpson wrote:

Run a system repair on windows, with your original windows disk (I'm assuming you still have it). Just insert it (might need to change boot order in BIOS but that's easy enough to google) and do what it says to run the installer, when/if it detects windows it'll ask you if you want to reinstall or try a system repair(choose this). Should stop your crashes.

As for the long time I'm drawn to your NAS drive as a source, no internal HDD?

And by saving do you mean rigth-click + save as (or whatever the Mac equivalent is), or just copying it?

Not sure what you mean by 'preview' either.

I have no intention of repairing crashes at the moment.

By saving, I mean saving it to my documents. (Via cmd - s, or cmd - right click)

And 'Preview' is an Apple application used to view images.
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Likely something you can change in Whatever the equivalent of a Mac's control panel is (Ask Cappy I've never used one for too long).

Only thing I can think of for the time issue is your NAS drive causing problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps you could reformat your NAS to NTFS formatting. You could also stop preview from opening by changing something in your system preferences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote

What is NTFS?
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
What is NTFS?
A format in which HDD's save. Your NAS drive is probably already in it, unless it's ancient.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Are you using a totally different machine for Windows or is it a partition on your internal HD or a whole different HD? I need to make sure you're saving it in the Mac partition/HD.

Also run a speed test on your internet connection and double check the file sizes. It could also simply be a bandwidth issue with your ISP.

Also, I don't know why Chrome is opening the file automatically, you're going to have to search around for a fix for that. I know mine doesn't so that's a little weird.
Mccool Harlan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote

Perhaps you are downloading the image at a normal rate but the fact that preview is automatically opened may be slowing down your computer.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Mccool Harlan wrote:
Perhaps you are downloading the image at a normal rate but the fact that preview is automatically opened may be slowing down your computer.
Just so you and everyone else knows, Preview is the equivalent of Windows Picture viewer. It's really an image/pdf viewer.
Lolbear Simpson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote

So, uh, my dad decided to reset the computer anyway because of corruption and damage to the hard drive, so lets see if that fixes this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> Technical Stuff All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: