Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

France - Cheated their way to the World Cup?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Other Stuff -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should a rematch be played?
No ending time set.
Yes.
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
No.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Mcrfreak Simpson
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote

In case you didn't know (which would be hard, as it's all over the news.), last night, France played Ireland in the second leg of a world-cup playoff, in Paris.

Going into the match, aggregate was 1:0 to France, giving them an away goal.

Ireland managed to score, making aggregate 1:1 and all to play for.

At the end of the 90 minutes, it was still aggregate 1:1 and it went into extra time.

In the first 15 minutes of the extra time, the ball was shot in, 2 french players were off-side. Schillachi raised his hand and handballed the ball, CLEAR IN THE EYES OF THE REF AND LINESMEN. When the ball was given in, it went out, but Henry kept it in by hitting it with his hand, again, CLEAR IN THE EYES OF THE REF AND LINESMEN.
Henry then turned, gave a little chip into a team-mate, and a goal was scored.

Before Henry gave the ball in, Shay Given (Irish keeper) and other irish players RAISED THEIR HANDS AND DIDN'T TRY ANYTHING. If it wasn't a clear handball which should have stopped play, the goal wouldn't have been scored anyway as it was an easy ball to stop.

I'm really annoyed about this,
Ireland have done so well in the qualifiers.
They've lost one match in them, and that was only a 1:0 lose to Italy, the current World Cup title holders.

The draw this year was different to other years.
High world-ranked teams such as France, Greece, Russia, Portugal etc were drawn against lower ranked times such as Ireland, Slovenia etc.
It's been said "Fifa got the result they wanted." and it really annoys me that in modern day football, ranking matters so much.

The french manager claimed Ireland were "Englands B-team", and what I say to that is, IF WE'RE THAT BAD, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO CHEAT TO WIN?!

Discuss!

Last edited by mcrfreak on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solidusnake Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote

I seen it and yes France did cheat I thought Henry was a good football player to look up to he never cheated in his life how wrong I am he is now going to be hated for the rest of his life.

I call for a replay of the match only the extra time behind closed doors.
Mcrfreak Simpson
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote

I looked up to Henry. I really did, but this is ludicrous.
I don't even blame Henry for hand-balling it as such, but for not being honorable and raising has hand and saying he did.
Solidusnake Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote

Also I think FIFA will now call for video refs and refs behind the goal line like what they have in the eroupa league in all club and international games.
Easyname Totoro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote

At least you won at Quidditch.
Ben Lebowski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote

If someone could post a video of this, that'd be great.

Since I'm a lazy bum and don't feel like finding one myself.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote

Solidusnake Anderson wrote:
Also I think FIFA will now call for video refs and refs behind the goal line like what they have in the eroupa league in all club and international games.

Hopefully.
I really think that a video analysis should have been done before continuing.

(also, poll added.)
Solidusnake Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote

here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNHlFDbxvY&feature=related
Ben Lebowski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote

Holy crap. That's just crazy.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote

I know.

It's wrecked this young boys World cup dream Sad
Would've went out and bought an Ireland jersey this morning.
Pancake Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote

I don't think it was cheating as much as poor refereeing. He acknowledges he hand-ball, it's just that the refs are idiots.
Rowena Svoltaire
Quizaboom
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Easyname Totoro wrote:
At least you won at Quidditch.

(L)

Remember the important things in life people

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote

This is FIFA report on the game
Gallas breaks Irish hearts(AFP) Wednesday 18 November 2009

France secured their FIFA World Cup™ spot in dramatic fashion with a thrilling 1-1 draw with the Republic of Ireland at the Stade de France.

Giovanni Trapattoni's visitors, beaten 1-0 in Dublin last Saturday in the first leg of their play-off, had taken a shock lead in the 32nd minute through Robbie Keane and the Irish were unlucky not to score more before forcing the match to extra time. In the first additional 15-minute spell, France had an appeal for a penalty correctly turned down after striker Nicolas Anelka tumbled to the turf under pressure in the eighth minute.

Five minutes later, William Gallas bundled the ball home to win the match for Les Bleus after being set up by Thierry Henry, who later admitted that he had handled in the build-up. The goal enabled France to qualify and avoid a repeat of their humiliating failure, at the hands of Bulgaria, to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals.

The Republic, especially captain Robbie Keane, had the lion's share of the chances in regulation time, and they will be kicking themselves having last qualified for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where they reached the Round of 16.

A clearly relieved French coach Raymond Domenech said France had had to scrap to the end. "It was hard, laborious and indeed miraculous," he told French television. "I was sure we would make it though. My forecast was 1-1!"

It was hard, laborious and indeed miraculous. I was sure we would make it though.
France coach Raymond Domenech

French President Nicolas Sarkozy saluted a "gallant Irish" team before praising his countrymen. "It's fabulous - we're really glad to get through. Qualification is important as it's a major event," Sarkozy told TF1.

Domenech was forced to reshuffle after the first leg victory in Dublin last Saturday after injuries to midfielder Jeremy Toulalan and central defender Eric Abidal. After just nine minutes, Abidal's pre-match replacement, Julien Escude, came off injured to be replaced by Sebastian Squillaci.

The unexpected turn of events would set the tone for what was, for them, a frustrating first half from which a more enterprising Republic team emerged with a 1-0 lead. While France looked dangerous in the opening stages, they went on to look exceedingly mediocre up against an astute Irish defence given plenty of protection by the assured Shay Given.

Damien Duff and Liam Lawrence had already shown their ability to carve openings in the French defence and it was Duff's cutback from deep on the left side of the French area that found Keane, who side-footed the ball first time to beat Hugo Lloris in the France goal. In the 39th minute, France striker Nicolas Anelka turned his marker nicely on the edge of the area but his shot was deflected by an Irish body and went for a corner.

A subdued Stade de France welcomed a more hopeful French team for the second half, but Ireland quickly stated their intent as Keane won a free kick on the left flank and Lawrence's kick found John O'Shea unmarked at the back post. However, after controlling the ball the Manchester United defender's shot was struck over the crossbar from four yards out.

France began exploiting Irish weaknesses on the right flank and a Henry free-kick was well turned away by Lawrence and eventually gathered by Given after Gourcuff had driven the ball back in. Just after the hour-mark, the Irish were given another golden opportunity, Duff racing through only for Lloris to block his effort.

Keane, one of the survivors of the 2002 tournament, was left frustrated after he missed a golden chance to put the Republic 2-0 up when he put the ball wide from a tight angle with only Lloris to beat. After struggling all night to overcome a packed Irish defence, France's late stroke of luck finally proved the visitors' downfall.

At no point it says any thing about the handball.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html
Bjorn Harlan
Quizaboom
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote

Rowena Svoltaire wrote:

Remember the important things in life people

Yeah. Like how to do up shoelaces.
I looked like a right tool the other day when I forgot at work.
Mdr Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote

um insane refs? there should definitely be a rematch, im not even a fan of the sport but thats just stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Other Stuff -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: