Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

Mission 2 translation mistakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artman Lebowski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I decided it would be nice if we had a topic to report them, so it would avoid translator team members a swarm of PMs.

Right now I've done a part of M2 (Yeah, I can't finish it, I know I'm bad.) in french and I think it is very well done, however I wonder why the commander calls the agents "messieurs les agents" (mister/sir the agents) instead of simply "agents" or "messieurs" (gentlemen).

Edit : found some more flaws.
"C'est pas" instead of "Ce n'est pas" (a common grammar mistake when using negations) when Steve realise he is in training. Note: I have realised this is a try at common language, I found some other slang words trough the text which are obviously intentional.

"Circuit de contrôle"? (control circuit) Isn't it control panel?

"Pourquoi est-ce-que tu ne lui lances pas une bombe..." (Why don't you throw him a bomb) without any previous references at who this "him" could be.

"une sorte de champs de force" (some kind of force field) (Steve is trapped under the glass) The "champs" doesn't need an s.

"Tu m'entends? Si je prends une grande respiration pour hurler, ptèt que tu m'entendras." (Steve when told the "breath slowly" option under the glass.) That's just awful.

"Fermé à clé" (Kla, on the door.) If it's the door which he is speaking of, Fermé takes a second e. (Fermée)

"Est-ce-que le champs est libre pour utiliser des explosifs?" (Lucas when asking Ryoh if he can blast open the door) "Champs" again. No s needed.

"Il y a une échelle qui conduit à la porte du coffre mais elle est cassée" (Lucas commenting on the ladder to the safe door being broken)
"Cassée" isn't really an error, but "brisée" would be nicer. Especially when speaking of a ladder.

Several references to the safe door being called "la porte du coffre". By safe door, Ioji probably meant the door of the room in which the safe is, which is also called safe, while in the french translation it sounds as if they were speaking of the door of the safe itself. (object) Correct me if I'm wrong.

"C'est incroyable comme les donuts peuvent rapprocher les gens." (One of Steve random lines while trapped under the glass.) Apparently, somebody didn't bother to translate donuts. ("beignets" or "beignes")

"Âllo? Béa?" (Steve answering the phone) The accent (^) goes on the o, not the a.

"Miroir stupide" (Steve at the end of the fourth ending) I don't think "-example- stupide" is allowed in the french language, but even if it is, "stupide -example-" sounds better, just as in english.

"Le vrai Ste n'a toujours pas fini la première mission!" (ending credits) Since there is a real "Ste", I assume there is also a "fake one", and Ste might be a typo of Steve.

Last edited by Artman on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 13 times in total
Simon Brancacane
Comic Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote

This is a very good idea I think. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote

I noticed just a small detail
in portuguese language, when the mission is starting he says: Agentes, está é uma missão de devolução
actually it isn't "está" but "esta" without the " ' " in the "a"
only this ^^
John Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Quick word about the topic title; I'd suggest replacing "flaws" by "errors". "Flaws" has a slightly different meaning and such a negative connotation to it.

I've participated to the french translation, so I'll shed some lights on some of the choices I've made.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
I wonder why the commander calls the agents "messieurs les agents" (mister/sir the agents) instead of simply "agents" or "messieurs" (gentlemen)

Well, that's the proper way for the commander to address his agents, that's what you'd expect from an official. Depending on the context, "messieurs" could be used as well, but the longer form has more gravitas.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"C'est pas" instead of "Ce n'est pas"

Spoken language (think "I'm"/"I am"). I guess that's one of Steve's line.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
I found some other slang words trough the text which are obviously intentional.

Indeed.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Circuit de contrôle"? (control circuit) Isn't it control panel?

The original says "circuit panel", which doesn't sound much better actually. I'll have to take a look at it in game, that might be a typo.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Pourquoi est-ce-que tu ne lui lances pas une bombe..." (Why don't you throw him a bomb) without any previous references at who this "him" could be.

The original doesn't specify either, so the user is left to assume they're talking about the thing that has just shot them.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"une sorte de champs de force" (some kind of force field)

Corrected.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
That's just awful.

That's not terribly descriptive, and I suggest you drop the attitude.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Fermé à clé"

I assume there's an implied "It's" here, hence the neutral form.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Est-ce-que le champs est libre pour utiliser des explosifs?"

Corrected, bis. The extra 's are mine, I can't help but write champ in plural form Surprised

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Cassée" isn't really an error, but "brisée" would be nicer. Especially when speaking of a ladder.

Briser implies destroying in smaller pieces, hence the use of casser.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
Several references to the safe door being called "la porte du coffre". By safe door, Ioji probably meant the door of the room in which the safe is, which is also called safe, while in the french translation it sounds as if they were speaking of the door of the safe itself. (object) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't remember there was a safe door (as opposed to the safe's door). I'll have to check that in game.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
Apparently, somebody didn't bother to translate donuts. ("beignets" or "beignes")

They're really talking about donuts, the torus-shaped, fried dough. The Simpsons helped popularize the term, and it should be quite widely recognized among Warbear's younger audience. I wouldn't have translated Apfelstrudel either.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Âllo? Béa?" (Steve answering the phone) The accent (^) goes on the o, not the a.

I'll have to check this one but I think that you are correct.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Miroir stupide"

"Stupide miroir" sounds nicer indeed. The other way around works too, but it doesn't sound as nice, you're right.

Artman Lebowski wrote:
"Le vrai Ste n'a toujours pas fini la première mission!"

No idea about that one. That's what the original says, so only Ioji knows, I guess. Either way, those are rants, nobody cares about them (don't tell Ioji :lol:).

Anyway, thanks for your effort. Feel free to report any perceived errors or typos if you see any.
Artman Lebowski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Donut is incorrect. Proof.
John Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote

I recommend you consult your own link before making an idiot of yourself Wink

Also, I'd like to point out that lack of evidence isn't evidence in itself. Wiktionnaire is not exhaustive.

Last edited by lolz on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Artman Lebowski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote

So? It is under translations.
John Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote

I'm afraid you didn't sufficiently investigate your own link. Donut is listed as a synonym of "beigne". But even if it wasn't it wouldn't mean that the word isn't in usage.

I live in France and I can attest that this word is, in fact, in usage. I'm sorry, Jacques, if you didn't hear it in Mexico. I assume that Canadian are familiar with the term but I don't plan on polling every french-speaking nation out there.

I note that you still seem quite hostile and confrontational in your comments.
Artman Lebowski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Whoops, my bad.

Still, if donut is a synonym of beigne, instead of being a kind of beigne, why not use the most common word instead? And warbears is an international community. I think we should stay as neutral as we can in languages, and use words that are understandable in every (whatever language)-speaking country.

There's a bug with my flag, probably because I steal my internet from a neighbouring wireless network. I don't live in Mexico, but US.
John Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Artman Lebowski wrote:
if donut is a synonym of beigne

That's what it is listed as. They're not synonyms, just a different variety. If Warbears ate Bagels, that's what would be in the text.
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote

good topic idea
ill post again if i find any mistakes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote

thats bril idea stops translation member being annoyed all the time
Rey Totoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Artman rants again. ^^
Jefff Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Artman Lebowski wrote:
Still, if donut is a synonym of beigne,
Actually... beigne is a bagel...
Artman Lebowski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote

Jefff Anderson wrote:
Artman Lebowski wrote:
Still, if donut is a synonym of beigne,
Actually... beigne is a bagel...
You must be misinformed.
(Sorry for taking so long to answer!)

I also found out "beigne" is local, while "beignet" is more adapted to France and internationality. "Donut" is for Simpsons (yuck) fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Missions -> Mission 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: