Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

All about behaviour!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niall Calothycos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I've been noticing a lot of talk about reporting and behaviour on the forums and in BTC, as well as quite a few reports that aren't quite kosher, so I decided to clear things up a bit since it seems we need a refresher (or a fresher for some of you newer guys Think )

How it works!
First, a user misbehaves and is thusly reported by an upstanding citizen.

Then, the internal workings of the site breed and after 9 e-months (a matter of milliseconds) pop out a beautiful little report which looks like this!:

This little box gives us a bunch of information! We get (From left to right) the reported user, the reason for the report, the user who reported, the date/time of the report, a temporary user log, the full log (Everything you have ever said in your time on Warbears), and then the log for the room you were in. (which is used for when we look for the context of the report)

With this, we check the validity of a the report
Report for things that are against the rules, for example, "Swearing in BTC" or "Spamming in BTC"
"Being mean" is not a proper use of the report function, nor is "he called me a hobo" or "Crimes against humanity" and thusly warn a user (On the 3rd, 5th, and 7th warning there are bans with varying times from 3 days to permanent)

A note on how to report

I cannot stress this one enough
Now we always tell users to give users 3 verbal warnings before they report a user with the report function. People seem to have taken this the wrong way.

Please, guys, don't report for a false report, as we're going to get the false report anyways and deal with it appropriately.

I'll be ghosting in the park or bar and see a user warn someone about rulebreaking by saying
Quote:
Hey, Niall Calothycos, Warning 1

This is not what we mean when we say give users warnings. What we mean is to say something helpful rather than aggressive, for example I would say something like
Quote:
Hey, Niall, it's against the rules to spam please don't do that anymore since it's annoying and clogs up the journal!

And maybe as the user continues to break the rule, you reiterate that you'll have to report the user if he or she continues breaking the rules.

After we have established that they have done something against the rules, then we report. We don't go out of our way to get someone in trouble without trying to help them understand that what they are doing is against the rules first.

Not all crimes are created equal

It's probably easiest to assume that every crime is equal and will be punished the same way, but that's just not a realistic way to think about it.

For example, it'd be nice if users only got banned on the third, fifth, and seventh warnings. It'd also be nice if you could always expect the lengths of the bans to be consistent, but there are special cases to think about! Certain offenses, such as racist (among other prejudiced) behaviour(s), and cybering are NEVER tolerated on the website, and are immediately dealt with in a very harsh manner.

A note on forum behaviour!

I think I should do a bit of explaining as to how we enforce rules on the forum since that doesn't seem to be particularly well explained anywhere on the website.

The same general rules apply on the forum as in BTC: Respect your fellow users, don't swear, spam etc.

Respecting users should be obvious. Don't continually badger any user about his or her mannerisms, and generally you won't need to worry about a broken rule and telling them not to do it, since a moderator will get to it anyways. On the other hand, if a user is new, feel free to explain to them the concept of not bumping a topic, or not to uselessly double or triple post when there's no purpose! That's not backseat modding, that's just being helpful as long as you do it nicely!

If you believe a user is being off topic and spamming constantly on the forum, feel free to notify a moderator via PM with a link to said post(s)/page(s) of the topic(s), although generally we will notice it on our own accord. It is completely useless to write a post in response to an off topic spam post such as

"Hey! Stop spamming on this thread with off topic posts!"

Said useless post telling someone not to spam is equally as off topic as the spam post as it is, so it will be dealt with as such.

Swearing on the forum is easy to deal with. If a word you believe is a swear isn't censored, don't use it. Just stick with your better judgement, the moderators and ioji can't keep every single naughty word in the forefront of our mind when adjusting the forum censor. Context is a big factor as well. Anything considered to be a swear will be dealt with in one of two ways: if a word is somewhat hard to distinguish as a swear or not, the post will be edited by a moderator explaining that the word used isn't appropriate. In the case that there is no question about the inappropriateness of a posted word, the user will receive a red bar or ban depending on the amount of warnings a user has (3,5,7 red bars).

In the case that there is severe forum spam (multiple random useless topics, flaming, trolling, inappropriate links, etc) we just ask that you completely ignore the topics and that it will be dealt with in the shortest amount of time as possible.

Please let me know if I left anything out so that I can help with anything people might be wondering!

Thanks guys, and happy travels in BTC Very Happy If you have any questions, feel free to PM me asking anything that needs clarification, and feel free to ask

Last edited by NIALLDOTCOM on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
Simon Brancacane
Comic Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote

Everything I've ever said in my time on Warbears? Shocked Spooky...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Announcements forum has a new topic.
*OHMAGAWD WHAT HAPPENED*

Why are there so many new users as of late btw? Just curious.
Niall Calothycos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote

BTC is becoming more active, I suppose!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote

Glad this is here! A lot of new users (and old users!) report people too often and some for no good reason!

Thanks Niall~

P.S. Nice Adventure Time reference. Hehe.
Sobchak Lebowski
Translators Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote

As usual Niall provides us with a fine example of how not to act
Globox Simpson

Location: The land of Köttbullar and Smörgåsbord, and epic guys with beards and hats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

So you can see everything we've ever said? Crap.
Crazyone Totoro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote

Globox Simpson wrote:
So you can see everything we've ever said? Crap.

Bad news for Bjorn.
Captin Simpson
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote

I'm glad that reporting is becoming more transparent and less secretive. Also today I learned that you have entire logs of what users say which must take up a heck of server storage.
Niall Calothycos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

It's not that bad, they're only filled as .txts
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Niall Calothycos wrote:
oh, well that's fine i guess.

even still though, pepper's must be huge with the amount of "LOL"s he writes
Constance Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote

Niall Calothycos wrote:

Does the server stores the logs from 2006 or they'll be automatically delete in 3 days? Just curious.
Ben Lebowski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Niall <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote

I'm still getting haunted from the time I reported Rowena...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote

We need more role models on warbears, like me Think
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: