Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

Multiple Accounts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiredbear House

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote

How do you detect if there's multiple accounts? Are you using the IP?

I'm very sad about this, because my girlfriend can't log in anymore. She and I enjoyed many hours on Warbears, a couple years ago. I'd either be at her house or she at mine, and we'd use our laptops.

Anyway, after months of no problems, eventually we both got banned for "Multiple Accounts". I left a message to someone on the contact page, but never got a response.

So a month ago, she thought she'd try setting up a new account with a new email address - I did the same using my workplace email. For a day or so, we enjoyed the games and had a good time. But eventually, she got the perma ban again for "Multiple Accounts".

She and I enjoyed this game for many months, a couple years ago, but since this policy has become so strict, we can no longer play in here, together, again. And we loved this place alot. But I'm sure we're not the only friends suffering this problem. You probably have banned whole families due to this issue.

Anyway, its now 2012, and I see the problem still exists. I'm not expecting a whole lot to be done about it, but I hope whoever is in charge at least considers it. If you don't trust those you're suspicious of, why not take a credit card # from one of their parents (if they're under 18) or something... Or just purge the database periodically for accounts over 5 years old if you're worried about drive space.

Also, maybe you can allow for paid accounts of some small amount ($1) or so, for people to be behind the same firewall but for your peace of mind that they're separate people.
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote

PM a moderator with usernames and they'll give you more information on why people were banned and unban them if there was a wrongdoing.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote

However, I believe you must understand that it's a much rarer occurrence that it is just two family members on the same computer, rather than one person making multiple accounts. Unfortunately, there is no better way than IP checking - taking credit card numbers and similar methods would just be unsuitable.
Wiredbear House

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote

Its not a rare occurrence at all to have two family members on separate computers. In fact, many instances there is a laptop and a PC being used at the same time on the same internet connection - or two laptops under the same roof. And with IPads, you have separate family members with their own iPad. It may have been a rare occurrence 10 years ago, but not anymore - especially in countries where computers are cheap to purchase. Personally, we have 4 laptops in our house and 3 PC's - not always used at the same time, but just sayin...

Maybe there could be a poll...

Anyway, I guess I can see its a problem if one family member is misbehaving, you want to make sure that person is kept out of the system, but it ends up punishing a whole household. Anyway, I'm a programmer now, so I know nothing is quick or easy to fix or change... I love this place.
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Wiredbear House wrote:
Its not a rare occurrence at all to have two family members on separate computers. In fact, many instances there is a laptop and a PC being used at the same time on the same internet connection - or two laptops under the same roof. And with IPads, you have separate family members with their own iPad. It may have been a rare occurrence 10 years ago, but not anymore - especially in countries where computers are cheap to purchase. Personally, we have 4 laptops in our house and 3 PC's - not always used at the same time, but just sayin...

Maybe there could be a poll...

Anyway, I guess I can see its a problem if one family member is misbehaving, you want to make sure that person is kept out of the system, but it ends up punishing a whole household. Anyway, I'm a programmer now, so I know nothing is quick or easy to fix or change... I love this place.
It's a rare occurrence for members to be banned as Multiple Accounts when they're just family members on the same connection. Besides, even behind the same firewall each PC has it's own IP address (otherwise the Internet wouldn't work) so unless you're using the same PC then an IP ban should only affect the one system (iPad, PC, phone or whatever). Personally there's around 15/16 computers in my house (Most rarely run though, just things I've fixed myself) and every single one has it's own unique IP, the same should be true for yours (if not you've got a problem).

As I said, moderators will have their reasons so this should really be discussed with them.
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Please note that IP banning is super rare because of all the technical problems (such as this one) which occur from it.
Wiredbear House

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Within the same house, each computer has its own IP, but webservers like Warbears doesn't know my private IP - it only knows the public IP used at the wireless router that all the other computers are using. The firewall hides the private IPs assigned to each computer.

I can't say IP banning is rare here, because its happens to us constantly at Warbears. Its very discouraging.
Captin Simpson
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote

From the forum rules:
Quote:
Users who feel they have been unfairly warned are welcome to contact the relevant team leader, e.g. if warned by a moderator you should contact the Moderator team leader. If they feel you were treated badly they remove a warning.

There is not much we can do from our end since we have no administrator permissions (therefore, we cannot check up on the bans that are in place) however please contact Ben Lebowski or Jurgen Smith for more information about these bans and if they can be removed.

Thanks.
Leroy Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote

Reminds me of a young Puck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote

I think i'm going to cry Sad Sad
Leroy Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote

Your six month late tears fill me with joy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote

If you were to get banned, how would you contact a mod? Would it be ok to make another account to do so? Or how? Also this might be a problem for me because I play at my friends house sometimes Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> Technical Stuff All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: