Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

a word from the creator
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> General WB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ioji Desu
Warbears Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone Very Happy
How have you been? Well, most importantly.. who's still around? Smile
I think if you still are, you deserve to know a little more about the situation. So I'm going to spend some time to let you know what's going on at the Warbears HQ (which resides inside my head).

It's been forever since the last update, and this is for various reasons. Among them:
- I now have a different job (I used to work on WB full time), so I have less time to dedicate to game development
- ..and I have to work for money, since WB didn't make me rich. Actually, we're paying to keep it alive, so it's making me poorer Very Happy
- I've been through some very complicated personal stuff (actually I think I'm still kinda there)
- We've had a hardware failure that caused some of the code to disappear forever. So we're in the slow process of rewriting it..

I'll be here to reply to all your questions, but in the meanwhile let me address some:
Q. When is the next BTC update going to be?
A. I don't know. We need to rewrite a lot of code, so it's not going to be anytime soon.

Q. When is M4 going to be released? What's the progress?
A. I don't know. It's been on hold for a while because I decided to rewrite the code in Actionscript 3 (I hate the way I programmed the old Missions Mmmh.. ).. but since that's taking too long, I'm considering taking the shortest path and keep on working with the old code. Here's the progress:
- Story: 90%
- Puzzles: 50%
- Graphics: 30%
- Code: 10%

Q. What are your plans for WB?
A. I don't want to give it up. I love this project and I appreciate you fans.. my dream is to carry on to bring you most of what already exists inside my mind. Ideally I would love to:
- fix all the issues with the website (forgot my password, login errors, etc..)
- finish M4 as soon as possible
- build a team of talented people to develop new episodes a lot quicker
- continue with a new game style from M5
- create a tool that lets you create stories and missions, including your own BTC characters
- renew and expand BTC
- create WB games for various platforms
- WB on cartoon network? Staring

Q. How can we help?
A. Well you can pray for me Very Happy also, if you're rich and you don't know what to do with all that money...

One last thing before I give you space for questions and insults (joking, I would totally ban you)...
Thanks. Thanks to everyone who appreciated WB, thanks for the emails, thanks for jokes, thanks to everyone who remained even if I disappeared. And a huge thanks to the mods, keeping this community alive.
You guys!
Roxie Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Nice to see you back, Gio.

Also, I have a question:

Will you be planning on posting regular (or even semi-regular) updates about the development of Mission Four, BTC, or any other projects?

Thanks.
Pepper Brancacane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I LOVE YOU IOJI!!!
Roxie Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Pepper Brancacane wrote:
I LOVE YOU IOJI!!!

But my name's not Ioji...

Sad

EDIT: Also Gio, a request: Don't go all Valve on our arses and make a Mission 3 episode one.

But seriously, maybe making Mission four into two parts would be a good idea, unless you've already got something lined up for Mission 5.

Last edited by twigglet9 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonpatrick Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

I just really wanna say thank you for coming out and saying all this, being in the dark so long really has brought a negative effect on a large amount of the community. Now that we have some understanding of how things are going for you and the progress with the website hopefully it'll put our anxiety to rest. Please, please do keep us in the loop in future.
Funny Lebowski
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm willing to make an offer. Since I've been using AS3 for a few years now and have become quite experienced, I'd voluntarily help build an engine for your missions. Although, I haven't had any experience with servers or PHP or anything like that.

If you're interested, I'd gladly send you a few of my works including source code.
Yummytummy Burritos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Jonpatrick Smith wrote:
I just really wanna say thank you for coming out and saying all this, being in the dark so long really has brought a negative effect on a large amount of the community. Now that we have some understanding of how things are going for you and the progress with the website hopefully it'll put our anxiety to rest. Please, please do keep us in the loop in future.

This. It really is great to know that you're actually still around (even if less so than before) and trying to work on the site.
Oscar House

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're alive and kicking, Io.

I'm not rich and I don't believe in the man of the skies, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope everything turns out well for both you and the site.
Selvatore Svoltaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote

I like knowing how is WB updating Smile
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote

If you're going to accept help from the community, even a little, might I suggest a new forum?

The Warbears Graphics Association was designed (partly) to, in whatever way we could, produce some part of the website and as the description says 'to aid Ioji in speeding up the updates'. So perhaps, if you're open to it, a new forum where you can simply ask 'Can someone help me with this?', let everyone who wants to throw in their own thing do so (going for a time limit or until you spot what's best for what you want), and then you can use it however you want. If you really don't like whats been made, I'm sure that you could at least start from one entry and build on it until you get what you want.

I'd also like to make an offer like Funny. I've worked on a website before (which has since closed down due to similar problems as here), using basic web design but more importantly PHPBB. I'm probably not the best but any free help is good, right? I can also do decent graphics, but so can a lot of the community so the above idea would be more suited than selecting members. If you're looking for individuals with certain skills, I'm sure asking specifically would bring people forward who may not realize what they could do to help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Nice, we finally know, what is going on Kawaii
I am looking forward to next mission and BTC update. Do not let us wait... Very Happy
Leroy Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Q. How can we help?
A. Well you can pray for me also, if you're rich and you don't know what to do with all that money...

Love it!
Comic Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Hi Ioji, and welcome back! It's nice to see that you're still around. Very Happy

There's also a question I'd like to ask you. A while ago, there's been a discussion about the possibility of extending the "General Discussion" part of the forum by dividing it into multiple "sub-forums", with different cathegories of discussion topics for each one of them. (Pretty much like it used to be when the website was new). I still think it would be a very good thing, since it would allow for more interesting and in-depth discussions on the forums. Is this something that might happen?

(If you want to see our discussion topic for this matter, here is a link to it.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I see that my theory that rarely anyone heard about why you were gone were true. I know you had a hardware failure, but if you still have the Mission 2/3, are you able to still post it on other game websites, so it can be used as free advertisements, and may even make you get more money? For example, for every people that plays on Kongregate, the ads would help you get some money there, plus it would bring people to view this site, which means you can fund this website even more with the ads on this site. Is there a reason why you explained your situation a bit late? I think some people would had stayed if they understood your situation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lolbear Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Speaking of a cartoon on Cartoon Network... That is a possiblity.
What you need:

- A teaspoon of mediocre animators.
- Very good humour
- Youtube
- Millions of views

...And BAM. You might get just enough views to to get noticed by Cartoon Network! That's how Adventure Time did it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> General WB Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: