Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

What can we do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> General WB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can warbears.com be saved?
No ending time set.
Together we can bring warbears back from the brink!
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
I just don't know anymore...
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
lulz no.
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 30

Jonpatrick Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Hello I'm Jonpatrick Smith, you may remember me as that guy that was always there but never really did anything useful or constructive. Well today I'm trying to make up for that. Over the past year or so warbears.com has hit hard times, lack of new content has led to the migration of many citizens and grinded the income of new members to a halt. So today I ask those who have choosen to stay: What can we do to improve things? Though the Great Ionatan is the only one who can make bring massive change, perhaps we the community can help. I offer these suggestions of my own and hope that you too can think of what can help bring back warbears.com... (Ioji has returned and made updates to the forums and fixed the registration system)

1.With the recent departure of Bjorn Harlan the Comics section has been left without new Official Comics for months. With no word from Simon or Frank in some time I feel it is appropriate that we retire all three members comics to the Previous Comic Series thread and bring about new a Official Comic Maker. Infact, why not two Official Comic Makers? More comics, more variety and hey a good old fashioned rivalry never hurt anyone right?(New comics released by all 3 comic makers)

2.In the past we could have upto 6 active moderators at a time. Today, we have roughly 2.5. While our current mods seem perfectly capable in handling the day to day running of the site there has at times been a slight slowdown in certain services (Most Notably the complete halt of the Hosting Queue) and while the lower amount of members may no longer require 6 moderators I think that perhaps it could be a great advantage to both the moderation team and the community to bring the number up to 3 or even 4.(New moderator: Jurgen Smith)

3.Speaking of the Hosting Queue, Forum Games could use a little help. The only hosted game currently being done is Traps and Treasures. Maybe it's time for another Mafia game or RAF? And hey, it's been awhile since we've had a CYOA. And how about a little Hurt and Heal? A little involvement from the community can go a long way, try posting in some of forum games every now and then. Guess the next poster can't be much fun with the same five people. (New games being hosted)

4.We haven't had any new competitons in awhile. Remember, without competitions the Collaboration Awards will never see the light of day. Perhaps if Take is no longer as active as he once was someone else can take the reigns of Collaboration Manager? Hey there's a competition idea right there. Oh and didn't I say something about needing new official comic makers?(Halloween Competition has been hosted

5.It's been discussed time and time again, but perhaps warbears could benefit from a Roleplaying section, or at the very least a couple of roleplays in the Forum games section. Mods talked about this possibility in the past, but no new information has been released in quite some time. Yes there has been concerns of whether it would work but I think it's worth a shot. (Working on this personally)

6.Anyone remember that video group Surfer started awhile back? We only got a little out of it before half the members seemed to vanish like so many others, but a few are still around WB. If we can get a few people interested we might be able to scrape this back together and build up a good selection of warbears videos on youtube. How about some mission LPs?

7.From replys to this thread I have determined that the revival of comics is of big interest. Heres the issue: Comic makers either have no ideas or don't have the editing skills to achieve them. That or they're too lazy. I think to aid this problem we should look at that strange and oft forgotten land we call "Reality". In this wacky alternate existence we call reality comics are not produced by a single person, rather a group of people. A coalition if you will. So why not install such a system here? A "Comic Coalition" system which helps people find other comic makers, ones who play off each others weaknesses. And while I haven't alot to say on this next piece, why not work this system into a revamped CMU?(CMU revival still in discussions)

8.I think it's worth our while trying to bring back the Tinychat meetups that Funny started a few months back. Maybe it was just me, but I felt that seeing and hearing my fellow warbearians for the first time helped me find a renewed appreciation for them, reminded me that they were human beings just like me. If we can try and bring it back to like it was at the beginning, with people just dropping in whenever they were around I think we could help the community connect just that little bit more. (Held occasionally)

9.Okay this ones not so much an idea as a reminder: Try not to be jerks. A couple of days ago in BTC I witnessed a newb trying to talk and play with a group of veteran members who shall remain unnamed. Rather than being nice they insulted him and shrugged him off. I can understand them not adding him because they didn't know him, but they didn't even make an attempt to know him and just acted like jerks. Remember people, your behavior reflects back on this website

10.There's been a few fan made games produced over the years (Not to mention a pretty awesome looking one still in production) perhaps we should assemble them in a sticky thread for easy access. Hell, maybe in the future Ioji could add a fanmade games section to the website.

11.Although former host Warts Smith (A great contributor to the community might I add) has canceled the Bearies this year, I think with a little work and organization we could set things up for a late Bearies in the winter months. With a little creative thinking I'm sure we can pull up a few categories with some candidates.(Being hosted by Warts, Jurgen and I.)

[[Watch this space for more ideas]]

Remember folks, for these ideas to work we really need to pull together as a community and get involved.

Last edited by jpyo on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 13 times in total
Daredevil Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote

Jonpatrick Smith wrote:
Hello I'm Jonpatrick Smith, you may remember me as that guy that was always there but never really did anything useful or constructive. Well today I'm trying to make up for that. Over the past year or so warbears.com has hit hard times, lack of new content has led to the migration of many citizens and grinded the income of new members to a halt. So today I ask those who have choosen to stay: What can we do to improve things? Though the Great Ionatan is the only one who can make bring massive change, perhaps we the community can help. I offer these suggestions of my own and hope that you too can think of what can help bring back warbears.com...

1.With the recent departure of Bjorn Harlan the Comics section has been left without new Official Comics for months. With no word from Simon or Frank in some time I feel it is appropriate that we retire all three members comics to the Previous Comic Series thread and bring about new a Official Comic Maker. Infact, why not two Official Comic Makers? More comics, more variety and hey a good old fashioned rivalry never hurt anyone right?

2.In the past we could have upto 6 active moderators at a time. Today, we have roughly 2.5. While our current mods seem perfectly capable in handling the day to day running of the site there has at times been a slight slowdown in certain services (Most Notably the complete halt of the Hosting Queue) and while the lower amount of members may no longer require 6 moderators I think that perhaps it could be a great advantage to both the moderation team and the community to bring the number up to 3 or even 4.

3.Speaking of the Hosting Queue, Forum Games could use a little help. The only hosted game currently being done is Traps and Treasures. Maybe it's time for another Mafia game or RAF? And hey, it's been awhile since we've had a CYOA. And how about a little Hurt and Heal? A little involvement from the community can go a long way, try posting in some of forum games every now and then. Guess the next poster can't be much fun with the same five people.

4.We haven't had any new competitions in the Collaboration section in quite awhile, if we can make it a regular thing and get people involved it could be a lot of fun. Remember, without competitions the Collaboration Awards will never see the light of day. Perhaps if Take is no longer as active as he once was someone else can take the reigns of Collaboration Manager? Hey there's a competition idea right there. Oh and didn't I say something about needing new official comic makers?

5.It's been discussed time and time again, but perhaps warbears could benefit from a Roleplaying section, or at the very least a couple of roleplays in the Forum games section. Mods talked about this possibility in the past, but no new information has been released in quite some time. Yes there has been concerns of whether it would work but I think it's worth a shot.

[[Watch this space for more ideas]]

Remember folks, for these ideas to work we really need to pull together as a community and get involved.

1. Frank said on his thread that a comic is soon to come out. But I do agree on more comic makers, but keep Frank's thread up since hes still 'active', or more so then Simon or Bjorn.
2.As of the lack of members, the current amount of mods seem good enough, as we all have lives, and can't expect 24/7 service from them(in a sense)
3.Hurt or Heal should be brought back, along with other games. Forum games seems like its more lively then other forums, but still 'dead'.
4.Yes.
5.Ehhhh, maybe a few in the forums...

I feel most strongly about new comic makers, and the a new competition for it would be cool. Comic island III?
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Pretty much all been discussed, considered, then fallen into nothingness. The hosting queue is something that really needs sorting out though.

I'm ready to host anything,

Mafia sort of died when it moved off site (a strange decision which i think was a bad move, since Many people couldn't access it). As for RAF, i've asked if I could host, yet received no reply due to the demise of certain people, i'm still ready for that.

The main reason things have died is the community has fallen apart. The bearies are an example, WGA (remember that?) is another, nobody gets committed to anything anymore. I have a small idea, which may come to bloom soon.

EDIT: DD, frank said that his comic was 'done' almost a month ago, he's just another person who's disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Knyh Risotto wrote:
Pretty much all been discussed, considered, then fallen into nothingness. The hosting queue is something that really needs sorting out though.

I'm ready to host anything,

Mafia sort of died when it moved off site (a strange decision which i think was a bad move, since Many people couldn't access it). As for RAF, i've asked if I could host, yet received no reply due to the demise of certain people, i'm still ready for that.

The main reason things have died is the community has fallen apart. The bearies are an example, WGA (remember that?) is another, nobody gets committed to anything anymore. I have a small idea, which may come to bloom soon.

EDIT: DD, frank said that his comic was 'done' almost a month ago, he's just another person who's disappeared.

Good point...
Samsinater Totoro

Location: I'm not really at a location as the earth is constantly moving at a pace of over 107305 km per hour.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Hey, if anyone needs an RP, I got you covered. It's not like my partial insanity inhibits my creativity. Although I haven't given any one idea all too much thought, as I generally imagine most people wouldn't want to participate, or would completely screw it up(with bad grammar, CCing, and plot control). If any of you guys are interested, I could put my imagination to work. Wink

EDIT: Oh, and at my last message board, this one game I pretty much made up was a HIT. It was a sort of CYOA, but morely, you choose what you want to do, usually out of anything possible with your surroundings or nearby objects. I could always start that here, since it was pretty popular before.

I used to feel like a man trapped inside a woman's body, but then I was born...

Save the trees! Wipe your bum with an owl!
Daredevil Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote

Samsinater Totoro wrote:
Hey, if anyone needs an RP, I got you covered. It's not like my partial insanity inhibits my creativity. Although I haven't given any one idea all too much thought, as I generally imagine most people wouldn't want to participate, or would completely screw it up(with bad grammar, CCing, and plot control). If any of you guys are interested, I could put my imagination to work. Wink

EDIT: Oh, and at my last message board, this one game I pretty much made up was a HIT. It was a sort of CYOA, but morely, you choose what you want to do, usually out of anything possible with your surroundings or nearby objects. I could always start that here, since it was pretty popular before.

People could always do one of those 'entrance exams' type thing(with a description of their character and stuff, skills(with a limit of course), and maybe a paragraph showing their grammar and spelling. If a forum was made, a 'usergroup' could be added as which you would need to be a part of in order to post at all.
I've seen something likeso on another site.
Oscar House

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote

I'm already living in denial and think we're past the point of no return.
Only way to fix this is by 'divine' intervention (ioji).

But it's good you're looking for solutions.
Ben Lebowski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote

Just PMed Nickyh about hosting the next RAF game, hopefully we can get that started back up again, it's always been one of my favorites Whistle
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote

The competitions and RP-ing for me are never going to happen.

As far as I know, the last competition on here was mine, and I waited absolutely AGES to get enough people to submit. People just don't seem bothered about entering anymore.

As for the roleplaying, I believe it won't work too well is because of the whole "grammar" thing. That's not "people no can do grammar like what I do", more people seem to give way too much of a crap about it and are correcting ever so simple things (e.g. "their" instead of "there") when what they put is easily understandable. Bear in mind for some people English isn't their mother tongue (Constance, for instance) and they will obviously struggle with it more.
Samsinater Totoro

Location: I'm not really at a location as the earth is constantly moving at a pace of over 107305 km per hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote

Even so, Funny, there is a difference between being foreign, and not even trying to use capitalization/punctuation. I mean, sure, if you miss a comma or two here and there, or accidentally don't capitalize, then hey, people make mistakes. But otherwise, you probably aren't even trying, which ticks some people off, like me and Presto.

But anyway, An RP only needs about 3-4 players (including the creator) to be successful, and such an RP is usually easier to maintain than one with a large group of 6-8 people. Just as long as people contribute often(enough), things can generally work out pretty well. And I've seen my share of RPs, I can make an easy-to-follow story, with a simple sign-up sheet. If I can just get 2 or 3 other people to agree with the plot, things should work pretty well, and others can always join at "checkpoints" in the RP.

I used to feel like a man trapped inside a woman's body, but then I was born...

Save the trees! Wipe your bum with an owl!
Sobchak Lebowski
Translators Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote

As a part of the community I feel infinitely grateful whenever people like JP, Funny, Tango or the late Bjorn add their respective grains of sand to our castle. It's been quite a while since I had the momentum to play an active role in this site (Though I still enjoy providing input through posts like these to be honest).

One would argue I'm not the selfless user I could or should be. Am I in a position to make any sort of demands from Io? Doubt it. Never donated a cent to help sustain this place, I will admit. I don't hold any leaseholding rights to this building. I'll always be thankful for playing these games and browsing this site and meeting these friends, while he, on the other hand, does not owe me squat. But it is not easy to rely on keeping the proper motivation to collaborate after expecting a site update for what, two thirds of its run? With every bit of news getting more ambiguous, distant, and insubstantial than the previous one (Examples include "News: News soon" and "Update? Stay tuned"), even those most devoted of users who kept themselves blissfully hopeful and patient throughout the years have begun to question whether they can actually trust Warbears enough to invest time and effort into it. And while I may agree to some extent that it is very much possible for a community with the proper drive to singlehandledly cater to its own ever growing needs, this is a flash driven social networking site, and I'm no flash designer as much as the next guy is no moderator. A sandcastle without an infrastructure change remains a sandcastle.

Personally, I don't see a way in which I can help us achieve the degree of entertainment tons of more diligent, talented and creative individuals than I provided back in the good old days, but I can try. As forum users we all have the capabilities and tools to contribute our best within its frame, and this site is far from dead in the sense that we'll always strive to be in it. If enough interest is expressed in Roleplaying, Forum Gaming or Competition Hosting by others, you can count with me as well.

Great thread, by the way.
Nickyh Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote

I forgot to say that my draft for RAF was wiped out since my flash drive broke down 3 months ago. Didn't realize it until I looked for it...plus, I didn't expect any summer homework, but I got them anyway.

So err, Ben just asked me if I were going to host the next RAF, and I'll have to pass...for now. ><

Lolbear Simpson wrote:
Learn what?
Daredevil Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote

Nickyh Smith wrote:
I forgot to say that my draft for RAF was wiped out since my flash drive broke down 3 months ago. Didn't realize it until I looked for it...plus, I didn't expect any summer homework, but I got them anyway.

So err, Ben just asked me if I were going to host the next RAF, and I'll have to pass...for now. ><

Damn.
I really wanted to learn what RAF was and participate...
Well theres always Hurt or Heal..... Think
Knyh Risotto
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote

Knyh Risotto wrote:

I'm ready to host anything

A while back a typed up several different games (both RAF and Mafia) so if ever It came to me to host, I was ready.

Still got them all, so I can start near enough straight away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote

A new Comic Maker or 2 is definitely a good idea, but hardly anyone has any comic ideas now D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Warbears -> General WB Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: