Warbears.com
Warbear
Bedtime City Missions Shop Forum
 Forum Rules   FAQ   Search   

Game opinion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Bedtime City -> Guides and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Lasagna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote

yes you're right but i can't find were to have lessons or learn about flash there might be youtube but it does'nt explain what the command are for or what they do it's just that i'm so eager to work with flash that i want to skip ahead the basics and go of to advanced do you know any where i can learn about programming ?

ps. i did'nt understand your last sentence:

PS. FLASH/ACTIONSCRIPT IS DYING LEARN JAVASCRIPT AND MAKE GAMES WITH HTML5

???? Think Think Think
Warren Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote

You can't skip learning how to learn to do surgery on the brain, and then do brain surgery. You have to take steps slowly.

Flash uses the computer language, actionscript. Javascript and HTML is also a computer language. I think Trick is basically saying Actionscript is outdated, and you can make better games with Javascript and HTML.

In case if you didn't know, in order to program a game, you need to learn a certain type of computer language, like C++, Java, Javascript, HTML, PHP, Python, etc. For each language, codes may do different things and have limits, and codes may be even spelled differently, like "else if" in C++ is equivalent to "elif" in Python. You need to learn each language separately.

You could always buy a book that teaches you how to program, or download an E-Book. I think Google would be more reliable than Youtube.

If you're wondering what language to start with, I recommend C++, since that's a very flexible language and easy to learn. Some schools teaches programming, which is how I'm learning to program. Since my class didn't know what computer science was, and took the class anyways, my class became very slow, so I just went ahead and used this site to learn more:
cplusplus. com/doc/tutorial/

I forgot to mention you'll need a compiler to compile the codes. Here are some free ones to compile C++ codes:
microsoft. com/visualstudio/eng/downloads
codeblocks. org/downloads

You can find a lot of tutorials by just Google searching it; so here's more links for some C++ tutorial, if you decide to learn C++:
cplusplus. com/files/tutorial.pdf
ebooktutorials.blogspot. com/2012/10/c-tutorial-wwwcprogrammingcom_4.html
cprogramming. com/tutorial/lesson1.html
cprogramming. com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Funny Lebowski
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Erm. I disagree there entirely. C++ is most certainly not an easy language to start on. In fact, that's probably the worst choice of language to begin with. I don't know if you've tried to make a game with C++, but it's entirely different to just using C++ to export to command line. It takes at least 30+ lines of code (plus the SDL library to produce 2D sprites) to even just get an image on the screen.

A good language to learn to begin with would be Actionscript 3.0, Java, Javascript, Python etc. These languages are easy to learn, allow you to get to grips with programming in general, all have similar syntax (so by learning one, you could very easily learn another) and there's a mass of easy tutorials out there for each one. Then, once you've got the hang of that, you can go and try more difficult languages like C++. If you try and learn C++ from the beginning, you're going to get - frankly - a crap understanding of actual programming.

Also, do NOT skip the basics. NO NO NO. You simply can't do that. Otherwise, you won't have ANY control over what you're doing, and it'll become one giant copy-paste job. Try a few mini-projects to begin with. Learn how to make buttons, use keyboard input, mouse input, text boxes, scores etc, then fit them all into a simple little game. The worst thing you could do is to just leap into a massive project with absolutely 0 experience. I'm afraid to say it, but it NEVER turns out well.

Also, if you're wondering on my experience in the matter - I'm fluent in Actionscript 3.0 and Python, and I know bits and pieces of languages such as Pascal, C, C#, C++, XML, Javascript etc. However, I only learned all of this after a background of about 5 years of initially learning, then getting creative with it.

I didn't write this to get your hopes down, by the way. I just wrote it to put things in a little bit of perspective. You can actually see where I started with games on this website. [CLICK HERE] for some of my first games - The Penguins. A bunch of adventure games, something like you want to make, with a very basic understanding of programming - simple button clicks. I made them using Flash and Actionscript 2.0.

So, in conclusion, if you want to make games, get started with something simple (NOT C++), and just HAVE SOME FUN. Get creative!
Warren Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote

I was mostly told by a lot of people, online and real life, that C++ was a good start. I guess it all comes down to how much you know how the codes work and the experience you have with coding. I personally think Python is harder to learn, since I'm learning that in Computer Club at school, and C++ is a piece of cake for me. I guess it also depends on how you're learning and the source you're getting it from.

Funny's information is much more reliable, since he has tons of experience, and I'm a novice, and made some games before. He has a post somewhere in the forum with links to his game. Edit: The link is actually on his signature.

Steve Lasagna wrote:
...if you've ever played angry birds it has unique idea what would mine be?

It takes thoughts to think of something unique, it doesn't come instantly (Also, it would be our unique ideas, not yours, if we suggest them to you). Like Trick said, you should start off making a game similar to another game, to get experience with coding, and may even learn more about how coding works, and learn your mistakes. You'll eventually think of something unique if you continue to make games.

I guess these posts proves that programming games isn't just get an idea and make a game out of it instantly. As Funny said, we're not trying to put your hopes down; everything doesn't start out easy, but it will become very easy in the end with a lot of experience.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Lasagna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote

i never thought anyone would care too much to write paragraphs and paragraphs of words thanks for being helpful i guess you are all right it would'nt be my idea it would be yours so i'm sorry for being selfish.

i can't believe one little post can make a lot, so thanks guys,

i was wondering guys, from you guys saying what languages are not always the same in other programs then why don't we make a topic of tutorials about programming i mean seriously what i heard from you guys you are really good in programming and i'll start learning and posting stuff too, we could put basics and people would learn and use it for the future we could put links to tutorials and ofcourse we could put the games you made and mine too and people could play it and put feedbacks of what they liked about our games and if they say something that we can improve it we'll improve it too

i don't know if you guys agree or not if you do then figure out what we should put the name for the team and if you don't tell me why i would like to know.

i reckon the name should be ( game programming help union or GPHU )

tell me what you think

Think
Funny Lebowski
Bug Hunters Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Depends how much of an interest there is, really. Smile

Also C++ is just... no. Not a good place to start, and never will be. Razz The basic commands of saving variables, printing stuff to screen - that nonsense, is easy. The rest - hell no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index : Bedtime City -> Guides and help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: